Monday, January 23, 2006

New newer newest

Yes the realm of the new is upon me! At the top of the list is a girl who wouldn't take no for an answer when I met her. And here we are almost a year later and her purses (ridiculous in color, variety, size, and most noticeably to me, quantity) are exercising their feminine influence on my ridiculously tiny closet. It is so nice to come home to someone in the house; specifically a human being as having my sisters cat with me for 3 weeks before Christmas affirmed that I am DEFINITELY NOT a 'cat person'. Moreover she is on my side when it comes to the staggering workload and the stress it takes out on my life outside of the studio, she can make dinner[she's at "Chippy's" as we speak], she helps out with groceries, and rubs my back for the ten minutes I manage to spend awake when I get home until I pass out in her lap on the couch. I think she's fantastic; I do worry that I'm not around enough but she knows what I'm trying to do at the studio.
Other new things relating to her recent arrival consist of her demands of internet and cable TV at home. The internet has allowed me to keep up with the streaming broadcasts of BBC Radio One's music shows and specifically radio dj Gilles Petersen's Sunday night show Worldwide. The shows are amazing and it is the number one source of music for me. This is where I generally find all that crazy imported stuff my mother has to order by August in order for it to show up by Christmas. The most recent acquisition I've made from his selections of music is a New Zealand group by the name of Fat Freddy's Drop. And as they do their thing in the background I must think of the other new things going on....
I've been on a bit of a book buying spree lately picking up books on Thomas Hirschhorn, Ukiyo-e, and Zaha Hadid. There are more on the way and a lighter workload this semester has allowed me to sneak in a few glances at their glossy pages.
I voted early last week and my riding was a hot battle ground as the wife of the NDP leader runs here and has lost twice previously. She won as I suspected [I do live in a heavily student populated area] and it seems I've been unable to shake the stank shadow of the Orange Cloud which has followed me from the west.
The sun is starting to come up so that means I'm late [but not as late as my student loan is] so I should get at it and head off to school in the next few minutes.

No comments: