Thursday, June 22, 2006

With Mute an Epiphany


I'm looking for work. Well I'm almost past looking and nearly ready to beat someone to death with a baseball bat so I can take their job. Anyhoo..... As I look at the latest postings on Workopolis I glanced over to the TV. Much Music is on in the background, on mute. I stared at it for almost twenty minutes watching music videos with no sound just watching a string of Pop-Punk bands doing their thing.

A long time ago in a class, David Lieberman presented the idea that architecture was a lot like being a chef - that it was a blending of ingredients... The lecture was quite bizarre but it stuck with me...

Historically music has been considered a high art form, based in mathematics, and containing an intangible quality. But as I sit here watching these videos the patterns are all too obvious. It all sounds the same. It even looks the same. Architecture historically has been declared a high art along with music - so does that mean that architecture could have descended to the same level as this culturally stagnant music I'm not listening to? Have the ingredients that make up architecture developed into a bland and predictable pattern of lyrics and choruses?

Do I need architecture based on improvisation and unpredictability? Do I need an architecture of Jazz?

No comments: