Saturday, December 08, 2007

It's a Thesis V.2

I've been really getting into photography lately. I should be more specific, the connoisseurship of photography not the actual taking of photos [although I'm sure that is to come soon if weekend tips at the bar allow me to splurge on this as a Christmas gift to myself].
One of my favorite photo-blogs is done by New York photographer Joseph Holmes, which he posts at joe's nyc. I think everyone should check him out especially his series of workspace photos - which are so fantastic. Anyhoo....I popped by his website this morning to see this photo in all it's glory. [click on it to make it bigger/better]


As you can see the framing, subject matter, and especially lighting are really striking. What I like about this photo and one's like it is how no one really ever gets to see this sort of stuff which is so integral to how the city they live in works. Exploring these spaces for the most part is illegal, however prevention is almost impossible so if one wants to have a look around you just have to know where to go. One of the unexpected results of these spaces is how eerily beautiful these spaces can be.


Now once you start getting into the 'urban explorer' community you end up in storm sewers in toronto [as in the photo above by Michael Cook] or in a Russian Subway Tunnel Construction area like this one taken by the group Russos:


A thesis on this type of material will obviously take me towards how this type of infrastructure shapes the way cities develop much more than private investment and public desire. It's interesting how this overlooked aspect of our cities is more in control of the city than we think it is - and possibly even more interesting is how just a few people in the city wield control over a system which undoubtedly influences millions.

No comments: