Tuesday, October 04, 2005

"Wax on wax off" OR What exactly am I doing here?


That seems to be the question bogging down my mind as of late. This whole Proun thing has gotten out of hand so quickly I'm at a loss as to what to do [well almost]. I get this feeling that we should try to create something challenging and structurally beautiful. Yet when I get a great idea and try to capitalize on it my supervisor tells me it's too much. It's "the cart before the horse" as she said. Yet on the last project I wasn't challenging enough and was criticized for being too simple and obvious. I am definitely unsatisfied with my work to date and am feeling a little lost. There's not much in the 'teaching department' going on and I'm wondering exactly what the point of this school is. When do I learn something that is obviously relevant to my job as an architect? What is the point of this studio environment, a class that is deemed the most important aspect of the schooling process, when no one is teaching. I'm only getting at best [and usually less] 20 minutes of face time with my professor a week, and I'm expected to achieve so much in that time with little help, encouragement or supervision.
The rationality in my brain is still sitting in behind of all this confusion and despair quietly going "there has to be a point to all of this!". I'm still waiting for my moment like in the movie Karate Kid when all of Daniels ridiculous labor around Mr.Myagi's house makes sense in his training. I'm waiting for that moment when it all comes together. I need that moment. I'm going crazy here.
They haven't broken me down yet, but they have taken a serious bite out of me. I won't let them get the better of me though.

No comments: