Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The 5 [goddamn] Minute Sketch Model


When I create I like to do it quickly. Get it out fast. Not hastily, but realize some form of the idea quickly. It's great for formulating some idea, but Jesus, it haunts you. Here we don't draw all the time so quick sketches take the form of models. Sketch models to be precise. And right now my desk is littered with them. All of these models have a purpose, and fail in achieving what the sketch model has. Every time you try to refine it, improve it, clarify it, etc..., you get something which sucks in comparison. Trying to develop any further - well it sometimes feels like a lost cause. Goddamnsketchmodel. I tell you, Frank Gehry was onto something when he crumples up a sheet of paper, drapes it over a site, and proclaims "I like that! Build that." [it should be noted that I actually don't like his buildings, but he is onto something...]

No comments: