Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The learning curve


Yes it is starting to set in. I think I might know what I'm doing here. It's finally starting to resemble architecture. Finally.
A few weeks back letters were sent out to inform students of a potential low grade at the end of the year. Since this is a masters program grades aren't really given out at regular intervals since the 'right answer' no longer exists. There were two versions of the letter. They became dubbed as 'spicy' and 'mild'. The mild was simply a way of saying "pick it up a notch", and the spicy was a way of saying "this architecture thing might not be for you". I managed to dodge these depressing letters luckily and forage on ahead.
My latest project, based on the 16" tall felt blob pictured last post, is starting to take shape. I'm basing my ideas on a cross section I drew which I've shown above. Ready? Here goes...The interpenetration of the outer skin and how it can weave it's way into various roles: outer skin, inner skin, and structure. Imagine an internal wall that separates you from the clown next door that goes through the perceived outer shell of the building and becomes a part of the outer shell itself. Wait. That sentence barely makes any sense. How about this: Inner walls become outer walls for the next rooms, floors bend and become walls in adjacent rooms. Still Following? It'll be a total beast to construct immaculately for the final presentation in just over 3 weeks, but hopefully rewarding. My bank account awaits the strain of another project! At least I have recently acquired some 'new' tools for the job.

No comments: